LBK’s Top 10 Reasons She is Grateful This Thanksgiving
With Thanksgiving just one week away, and because today I’m not feeling particularly grateful for my children, one of whom locked himself in his room for 45 minutes instead of getting ready for school, and the other who, let’s just say, ruined a perfectly good pair of jeggings 10 minutes after she went to the actual bathroom, I’ve decided to force myself to get in the Thanksgiving spirit and write…
LBK’s Top 10 Reasons She is Grateful (as they relate to work; I’ll try to leave the challenging parenting stuff for another post)
- I get to work in my pajamas. If it weren’t for Skype meetings, I may never wear make-up again.
- My total commute time from bed to office is 20 seconds if I walk really slowly.
- When I’m really busy, it means I’m making a lot of money.
- When I’m not so busy, it means I’m taking a lot of naps (in theory, but really I’m just online shopping and doing laundry).
- Freelancing allows me to work with a wide variety of clients and projects, so I never get bored. One day I’m designing a postcard for a toddler story time; the next day I’m building a website for a market research start-up. One day I’m working on a giving campaign for a non-profit; the next day I’m making a brochure for a law firm. The day after that I’m building a Lego tower and emptying the dishwasher.
- Working for myself means that I choose my clients. If I don’t like working with you, I won’t. At least not after I’ve fulfilled my commitment of our first project together where I learned that I don’t wish to take our relationship to the next level. Ultimately this will lead to perfect designer-client-bliss once I weed out all the PITAs.
- While I am usually a very social person, I am thankful that I work alone. Working with other freelancers via phone and email, and networking with other designers over coffee is just the right amount of interaction for me.
- I get to creatively solve my clients’ problems. Like a graphic design super hero of sorts.
- What other job would give me the opportunity to compare myself to a super hero and get away with it?
- I said I would write 10 of these, but I’m pretty stuck at this point. I am thankful I have no boss hovering over my shoulder pressuring me to come up with something.
Happy Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for this year?